Tuesday March 27, 2012 9:45 am
Coconut Cardamom Rice Pudding Recipe
I'm an absolute sucker for rice pudding, mostly because I've found it to always be pretty delicious, regardless of the source. Whether it's something ordered at a New York diner, an Indian restaurant, or bought at the supermarket in a Kozy Shack plastic tub, if I see it as an option, I'm usually getting it. This rice pudding recipe is adapted from Monica Bhide, who suggests serving it with fresh mango. While that is good, the recipe does stand up on its own as well, as the coconut and cardamom bring something nice and different to the table, without changing the overall goodness.
Coconut Cardamom Rice Pudding
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon pre-ground cardamom powder
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar OR 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ to ½ cup coconut milk, to taste
- Lime zest, to taste
- Toasted almonds or pistachios, chopped, to taste
- In a saucepan, bring the milk and 2 tablespoons of the sugar (or the condensed milk, if using) to a boil over medium heat, stirring to prevent scorching at the bottom.
- Add the rice, cardamom, and salt. Stir, and turn the heat down to medium low. Cook it at a bare simmer, meaning with tiny or occasional bubbles, until so much of the milk has reduced / been absorbed that it looks in the end like creamy rice smothered in just a little too much sauce. This should talk about 45 minutes, and you should stir on occasion so that there’s no scorching. Taste, and add more sugar if it's not sweet enough for you.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and let it cool to room temperature. Stirring it a little bit while it cools helps. When it’s cool, transfer to a bowl, press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the pudding, and chill.
- When it’s time to serve, loosen the pudding back up by stirring in ¼ cup coconut milk until well combined. You can add more if you'd like. Top with a little grated lime zest, some chopped nuts, and serve.
[Photo Credit: Whitney Chen]
- Related Tags:
- almonds, basmati rice, cardamom, coconut, coconut milk, desserts, nuts, pistachios, recipe, recipes, rice, rice pudding, sidefeatured, whole milk
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.