This recipe for tropical chicken polenta cakes is one you can mostly prepare days in advance, making it a convenient mid-week meal. Simply boil the chicken breasts and prepare the polenta, put both in their own sealed containers, and bring them out when you want to make this dish. If you end up with extra polenta cakes, use them to make "grilled cheese sandwiches." Seriously, they're awesome. On to the recipe:
- 3 chicken breasts, shredded (see prep)
- 1/2 pineapple (2 cups), blended into a puree
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cups polenta (coarsely ground yellow cornmeal)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional: 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
These tea sandwiches are spicy and make a great addition to a summer tea. They are based on the New Orleans favorite Muffuletta, a garlicky olive salad. You can also add thinly sliced meats to the cheese if you wish.
- 1 pkg. steak buns (6) (with sesame seeds if possible)
- Olive Salad - Recipe Below
- 12 slices Havarti Cheese, sliced paper thin
- Herb Butter - Recipe Below
- 1/3 cup green olives, pitted, minced
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely minced
- ½ tsp. oregano, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 drops green pepper sauce
Mix all ingredients together.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced finely
- 1 tbsp. roasted red bell pepper, minced
- 2 tsp. parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp. Dijon mustard, coarse stone ground
- 1/4 tsp. each, marjoram, chives, oregano, tarragon (or any combination of fresh herbs), finely minced
Mix all ingredients into the softened butter.
Slice buns, if they aren’t pre-sliced. Butter inner side of each bun. Spoon 1 tsp. of Olive Salad on the bottom halves of the buns. Top with 2 slices of cheese each and the buttered bun tops. Slice into quarters. Let the Muffuletta sit for at least an hour and then serve.
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.