I admit. I am addicted to limes, and lemons if I don’t have any limes left. I haven’t confessed this to many family members but now the word is out. My husband will tell you that we don’t tip the waiter if he forgets the lemon for my water (totally just kidding!). I juice raw vegetables almost every day and I always juice with lemons or limes, it really helps cut the “green” taste and just gives the juice such great flavor. The Worlds Healthiest Foods has a great article about the health benefits of lemons and limes and some good history as well. But I will leave you with some other great tips on why lemons and limes are so great and why I personally love them so much…
- Lemons/limes have several times more Vitamin C than oranges.
- Lemons/limes are known to cure headaches in some people. I personally drink the juice of at least one lemon a day with water and it really helps.
- Lemons/limes have properties that can prevent cancer.
- Lemons/limes are alkaline so they can be great for someone who is struggling with their pH level.
- Lemons/limes have been known to help with asthma.
- Lemon/lime juice mixed with water promotes the exiting of one’s food in a timely manner.
- You can squeeze fresh or bottled lemon/lime juice on your cutting board after you’ve used it for cutting an onion or garlic, to cut the smell.
Note - if you do decide to become a lemon fanatic like me, invest in some straws as lemon juice can also eat away at the enamel on your teeth, if you drink it with a straw you should be fine!
So how about you? What wonderful uses have you found for these tart treats?
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.